Chia: The Super Seed
Chia seeds are a new food to many people. The word ‘chia’ is more likely to remind many of us of the “Chia Pet” fad. But there is something far better we can do with chia seeds. This super seed is a nutritional powerhouse that provides many health benefits.
1. Lose weight without starving – Chia makes you feel full longer.
2. Balances blood sugar - It’s unique combination of soluble and insoluble fiber combine to slow down your body’s conversion of starches into sugars
3. Supports healthy heart and cholesterol levels – Chia is high in omega 3
4. Reduced fat in baking – divide the amount of butter or oil in half, and then use the same amount of chia gel to fill in.
5. Supports the immune system and slows aging process – chia is high in antioxidant vitamins
6. Supports bone health – chia contains calcium, manganese and potassium
7. Feel energized all day – due to the combination of complete protein, vitamins, minerals and blood-sugar balancing.
Chia is almost tasteless and can be added to nearly all foods, liquids or recipes. Just add hot water and let sit for a few minutes until the chia ‘gels.’ The closest food to chia in nutritional value is flax seed. Chia has a long shelf life; it stays fresh for up to two years at room temperature. One or 2 tbsp/day of chia is all it takes to get you and your family on the path to healthy living.